Name's Sophie. I'm kind of into J.R.R. Tolkien, Paul Simon, rugby, the USWNT (especially Pinoe), Ashlyn Harris, Andrea Gibson, Missy Higgins, feminism, LGBTQ issues, herbalism, animals, Ireland, and Rachel Maddow. And by "kind of" I mean REALLY REALLY.
savecolbyrugby asked: Two days ago, the Colby College administration decided to cut the Men's and Women's Club Rugby teams, citing an increase in concussions and tough financial problems that made the club "not a priority". I would absolutely love it if you could sign, and share, our petition to show the administration that they've made a terrible error. They obviously don't understand that rugby is so much more than a sport. We are family. I'm not allowed to post links here, but Google ipetition Colby Rugby to sign.
EXCUSE ME, WHAT???
OH SO THEY HAVE TO CUT RUGBY, EH? ARE THEY CUTTING FOOTBALL? BECAUSE YOU KNOW THERE SURE AREN’T A SHORTAGE OF CONCUSSIONS IN THAT SPORT NOOOO NOT AT ALL NO SIREE AND IT’S NOT LIKE SOMETHING CAN BE IMPORTANT TO MANY STUDENTS AND PLAYERS THAT ISN’T MAINSTREAM SPORTS GOD FORBID AND GOD FORBID YOU LET WOMEN PLAY THE ONLY FULL CONTACT SPORT AVAILABLE TO THEM NO LET’S TAKE THAT AWAY FROM THEM TOO THAT’S FINE RIP MY HEART AND HUNDREDS OF OTHER HEARTS OUT WHY DON’T YOU???
EVERYBODY FREAKING SIGN IT: HERE
- I am allowed to be vocal about my pain if it helps me heal
- I am allowed to be sad in places other than my own head
- I am allowed to express my anger/sadness/hurt in ways that do not hurt other people, whether that is in writing or speaking to friends
- I am allowed to speak my truth even when it makes others uncomfortable
- I am allowed to take care of myself, even if it makes people who hurt me uncomfortable
- I am allowed to create my own rules for self-care
Ten rape prevention tips:
1. Don’t put drugs in women’s drinks.
2. When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.
3. If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to rape her.
4. If you are in an elevator and a woman gets in, don’t rape her.
5. When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her.
6. Never creep into a woman’s home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or rape her.
7. Remember, people go to the laundry room to do their laundry. Do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.
8. Use the Buddy System! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from raping women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you at all times.
9. Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.
10. Don’t forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don’t pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be raping her later. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.
— Leigh Hofheimer (via perfect)
The Huffbach wedding is finally upon us.